The Take 2 Big Band was formed in 2005 by John Hopkinson and has since progressed to become a highly respected and popular ‘big band’. The band performs regularly to a range of audiences at concerts, festivals, functions and not least, charity events. This CD intentionally attempts to cover a wide musical spectrum and reflect the versatility of the band.
The title track “Ev’ry Little Beat Helps” is a high energy number that provides a pulsating opening from which the CD develops to include foot-tapping swing numbers through to gentle ballads. Individual soloists are featured throughout – Maggy Bennett (alto sax), Mick Roberts (tenor sax), Rob Speight (trumpet), Christian Hines (trombone) and Gareth Taylor (keyboard) provide exciting ‘open’ solos throughout whilst John Hopkinson produces the smooth, relaxed flugel sound on ‘Trinita’. Graham Pell features on trumpet in a dynamic arrangement of MacArthur Park with Jeff Swift adding subtlety on guitar. Of course, everything is held together by the drumming of Matt Whiteley and the bass playing of Paul Simmons.
Vocals are provided by the ever popular Elli Whiteley and Craig Williams both who perform regularly with the band and again the choice of song is intended to add variety and interest to the CD.
- Ev’ry Little Beat Helps (Nestico)
- Night Train (Forrest)
- Come Fly With Me (Van Heusen / Cahn)
- Spring Can Hang You Up (Landesman / Wolf)
- Blue Skies (Berlin)
- Feeling Good (Newley / Bricusse)
- Send In The Clowns (Sondheim)
- I’ve Found a New Baby (Palmer / Williams, arr. Goodwin)
- At Last (Gordon / Warren, arr. Henry Burek)
- Trinita (Taylor)
- Me & Mrs. Jones (Gamble / Huff / Gilbert)
- MacArthur Park (Webb, arr. Mick Roberts)
- Sway (Ruiz / Molina / Gimbel)